Kilo boneless chicken
half kilo plain yoghurt
1 tablespoon Garam masala (powdered corinader seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, black cardamon)
one Tablespoon of paprika
One and a half teaspoon of turmeric
Teaspoon of ginger and garlic paste or powder
2-3 green chillies - chopped
Salt, to taste
Handful of fresh coriander/cilatro, chopped
Juice of half a medium sized lemon
Teaspoon of red chilli powder
2 medium sized chopped onion
2-3 medium size chopped tomatoes
Raita Yoghurt Salad:
Half kilo Yoghurt
Half chopped small cucumber
Medium sized diced onions
2-3 small tomatoes diced
one and a half teaspoon of mint sauce or small handful of freshly chopped mint leaves
Small handful of freshly chopped coriander/cilantro
tablespoon of lemon juice
This recipe usually requires the use of an oven, however this recipe assumes that you do not have access to an oven and this can be made using a gas stove top. Of course, you can use the same recipe for oven cooked Chicken Tikka. Leave out steps 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8 and place the marinated chicken in the oven to medium temperature, using a medium sized oven dish and allow to cook for maximum 45 minutes, turning the chicken pieces over half way through cooking. After you have fried the onions and tomatoes, place on top of the chicken and allow to simmer in the over for about 15 minutes.
1. Combine all ingredients together, apart from the onions and the tomatoes, salt and the chicken
2. Once all the ingredients are combined, mix in the chicken and the salt into the yoghurt marinade and then refrigerate for a minimum 2 hours. If you have more time, allow to marinade overnight
3. Use a clean medium sized steel wok type pan and place the marinated chicken pieces directly into the pan over a VERY LOW gas. Place the lid on top, and allow to cook for around half and hour or 45 minutes, checking every ten-fifteen minutes and turning over the pieces of chicken once during the cooking cycle.
4. Allow the chicken to cook into its own juices, do not add any water, otherwise this will ruin the recipe. The yoghurt marinade will also yield water. Allow to cook. Its very important that the gas is left to its lowest, otherwise the chicken will burn
5. Once the chicken has been cooked, remove the pieces of chicken from the wok and place into a dish. Keep the left over water that the chicken was cooking in, and place in a cup. You will need it later.
6. In a separate frying pan, fry the onions until a golden brown and then add the tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to cook, until its juices start to run.
7. Use a different flat fry pan and place on a medium-high gas. Place the cooked chicken pieces on the pan and allow to dry fry, like you would on a BBQ. Dry fry until the pieces of chicken become a golden brown, but not burnt.
8. Whilst the Chicken is dry frying, sparingly add the water left over from cooking earlier and add the cooked tomatoes and onion on top and allow to fry together, to make the chicken succulent
Active Time: 4 Hours
Total Time: 4 Hours
Yield: 3 Servings